Yoga for weight loss

More
3 years 2 months ago #227 by Lea Mayer
Yoga for weight loss was created by Lea Mayer
Yoga is an exercise mostly associated with flexibility and breathing pattern. I have heard many testimonials and recommendations that it can also be used to lose weight, but I have to admit that it's not easy to believe because it doesn't seem to burn that much calories. Have you ever tried yoga for weight loss? Was it really effective?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 2 months ago #229 by Missy Cooke
Replied by Missy Cooke on topic Yoga for weight loss
I can attest to yoga for weight loss. Yoga is not easy to do and requires a lot of strength that you wouldn't initially expect as you watch people do the poses, however many of the poses can be quite challenging to hold, even for experienced fitness junkies. I did yoga as part of a popular exercise DVD program advertised on TV and it was extremely difficult! Of all the different DVDs in the program (cardio, plyometrics, kickboxing, weight training) the yoga DVD was the one I despised and dreaded the most! I also lost a lot of weight from doing it!

More
3 years 2 months ago #241 by Lea Mayer
Replied by Lea Mayer on topic Yoga for weight loss
Thank you for the information! Does it mean that only difficult poses help in weight loss? I feel that we burn the calories when we use all our strength and flexibility to do those poses. Otherwise, it seems more similar to the stretching we do before running.

More
3 years 2 months ago #260 by Rita Dillard
Replied by Rita Dillard on topic Yoga for weight loss
Lea. I think the key is holding a pose. It takes strength and stamina to hold some yoga poses. I find the longer I can hold one the better I feel later on. And, yes it does help to lose weight. Holding poses burns calories. I usually come away as sweaty as I do after a regular workout.

More
3 years 2 months ago #261 by Britney Rowell
Replied by Britney Rowell on topic Yoga for weight loss
Many of us practice yoga to reduce stress, this helps weight loss too because stress causes people to overeat especially high fat sugary food.

More
3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #296 by Kim Salva
Replied by Kim Salva on topic Yoga for weight loss
The truth, Lea, is that yoga as a tool for weight loss has been debated about for so many years. Some people are of the belief that yoga just is not paced quick enough to burn the required number of calories that would define weight loss. Other people absolutely swear by their yoga regimen and say that it is definitely an effective way to lose those extra pounds.

For yoga to work as a tool for weight loss, it is said that there are three layers which must all be in harmony: mental, physical and the soul.

It is believed that yoga, combined with a healthy diet, just might help you on the path to losing the desired amount of weight.

More
1 day 21 hours ago #926 by ZoeBray Cotton
Replied by ZoeBray Cotton on topic Yoga for weight loss
Well, my friend, there are certain Yoga posture to lose weight which can let you lose weight if you had intense we\orkout. I have been having different yoga posture from a Yoga Burn DVD which has a different posture performed by an international trainer.