Longboard for Learning

More
1 year 10 months ago #593 by Adam Eastman
Longboard for Learning was created by Adam Eastman
I'm still new to surfing. Picked it up since moving to Jax about a year ago. I'm about ready to buy my own board since I've been borrowing and renting for now. People keep giving me longboards because they say it's easier to learn that way. Can anyone attest to that? Should I stick with the longboard for a while longer, or move on to the shortboard?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Riley Davis

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 10 months ago #602 by Riley Davis
Replied by Riley Davis on topic Longboard for Learning
I learned on a longboard and still prefer it today because of their versatility. I can use it for paddle boarding and yoga. Plus, my dog can catch waves with me (she has a life jacket and lays flat). I'm sure you've heard that longboards are good for beginners because the larger surface area gives you more options for planting your feet so you are stable.

I'm a long time surfer and with any sport, most enthusiasts will have an opinion. Surfboards aren't cheap. Before you buy a board, give both styles a try. I have a short board too, and there's nothing like it from thrashing on sharp waves. I know several surfers who learned how to surf on a shortboard because that's what was available to them. You honestly might like it better.

I wish you tons of luck on your surfing adventures. It's a thrill ride.

More
1 year 10 months ago #604 by Adam Eastman
Replied by Adam Eastman on topic Longboard for Learning
Thanks, Riley! Sounds like you know your stuff. Too bad you're on the opposite coast or you might have gotten a student.

I'm loving surfing. I'm glad I finally made it to a town with a coast after all this time. Most of the people I know seem to go with the longboard, but I definitely want to give the shortboard a try. I'll have to see if anyone around would be willing to let me give theirs a shot.

More
1 year 9 months ago #610 by Emma Parkes
Replied by Emma Parkes on topic Longboard for Learning
I don't think a longboard is ever a bad purchase. Since "beginner" can cover a pretty wide scope, it's hard to say for sure. Have you ever ridden a shortboard? I would say get a shortboard unless you're still not completely comfortable surfing. They're more fun (in my opinion) and a lot easier to maneuver. From what I recall from my trip to Jax a couple years ago, the beaches can get pretty crowded. On the other hand, a longboard is never a bad purchase. You can ride the less-than-awesome waves with them more easily which means it'd be a must-have for you in the summer months there.

New suggestion: go rent a shortboard. Rent one for a few weeks or however long it takes for you to start feeling comfortable (or decide you aren't ready for it). Take it out in different conditions. Get a feel for it and then make your decision.

More
1 year 2 months ago #890 by Donny Kim
Replied by Donny Kim on topic Longboard for Learning
I've been using a longboard since the first time I learned how to surf. I like its versatility and stability, even though it's limited to simple conditions and small waves. It's also easy to paddle.

Think of the kind of surfing you want to do and the board type can be decided next. If you want to get used to the sport first, then I think a longboard is good enough.

Moderators: Leisure Clique