When is it worth it to buy a board?

More
1 year 4 months ago #835 by Canan Akar
When is it worth it to buy a board? was created by Canan Akar
I'm planning on going snowboarding a couple of times this season and, hopefully, I'll get to go more often later in the year. I sometimes get floored by how expensive rentals are. When is it worth it to just buy your own board? How long does a board usually last?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Run Ruth Run

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 4 months ago #850 by Chris Anderson
Replied by Chris Anderson on topic When is it worth it to buy a board?
Like you said snowboards are expensive, so I'd rent several different types before I committed to buying one. That way you'll know which style and size suits you best. After that, I'd just do the math. A snowboard should last for several years if you wax it and store it properly. So take your usual rental fees for a season and see how it compares to the price of buying one. It sounds like you're really enjoying the sport so it could be a good investment.

More
1 year 4 months ago #851 by Canan Akar
Replied by Canan Akar on topic When is it worth it to buy a board?
I was seriously just considering buying one on a whim without considering it from every angle. I was thinking only in terms of price. Thank you for pointing out that I need to try out several different kinds in order to figure out which board is right for me. It's funny/sad how money can make you forget other important factors sometimes, isn't it? You've saved me from myself, and for that I thank you!

More
1 year 4 months ago #852 by Run Ruth Run
Replied by Run Ruth Run on topic When is it worth it to buy a board?
I recently went snowboarding with Canan here and Donny, another LC member, and the rental fees are pretty high. I bet they make a killing each season. After renting three or four times you'd have spent the same amount as buying one outright.

I have to say that just staying upright on the board is more difficult than I thought it would be! Donny caught on quickly and Canan seemed liked a pro in no time. You should invest in a board once you figure out what suits you best, Canan. You live in an area with plenty of snowboarding opportunities and you're a natural at it.

Moderators: Leisure Clique