Learning from videos

• Daeneris Tygerian
  • Daeneris Tygerian's Avatar Topic Author
More
2 years 3 months ago #287 by Daeneris Tygerian
Learning from videos was created by Daeneris Tygerian
Is it possible to learn how to play pool or billiards just from watching videos or does one definitely need to get a coach to teach them live?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 2 months ago #353 by Donny Kim
Replied by Donny Kim on topic Learning from videos
I know there are people who are visual learners, so they may be able to pick some hints or tricks from the videos. With sports, though, I still think first-hand practices are necessary because good skills need time to get used to. I suppose coaching is not mandatory, but would be great if you can get one.

More
2 years 2 months ago #389 by Adam Eastman
Replied by Adam Eastman on topic Learning from videos
It's not impossible to learn with videos, but it's more difficult, at least in my opinion. Unless you're able to practice a shot or trick while you're watching it, I'm not sure what the benefit would be.

More
2 years 4 weeks ago #528 by Brandon Fals
Replied by Brandon Fals on topic Learning from videos
Who needs a coach when you can get your friends to teach it for you over some drinks? I suppose videos are great for explaining the concept behind the techniques or analyzing the table before making a shot. I think billiards is the kind of sport where you just have to jump in and learn from mistakes.

More
1 year 10 months ago #671 by Jeff Russel
Replied by Jeff Russel on topic Learning from videos
I've tried it before and it didn't really help me. Videos make us feel like we can do it already. The power, the angle, how we hold the stick, how the table looks like, and so on just feel completely different. Videos do help me to get basic ideas of the game. It makes practice with friends start off faster.

More
1 year 10 months ago #672 by Adam Selgia
Replied by Adam Selgia on topic Learning from videos
I've never used videos to learn how to play pool, but I don't think it'd be super helpful. It might teach you the basics behind some aspects, but I think you really need to learn this one by doing. I think most physical skills need a hands-on approach to learning.

Moderators: Leisure Clique