Can adult amateur baseball be more popular?

More
2 years 9 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #135 by Leisure Clique
Can adult amateur baseball be more popular? was created by Leisure Clique
Time commitment is huge playing baseball, players should estimate 4-5 hours for a game including travel time, and this is a lot for average people even in weekends. It is probably one of the reasons why adult amateur baseball is not as popular as other sports.

If amateur leagues adapt a few rules/standards to their games to shorten the time length like 6-7 inning games or setting a hard time limit (the last inning starts after 2 hour of playing), would it bring more players to this sports or just decrease the integrity of baseball?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Evan Harris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 2 months ago #220 by Joshua Nuri
Replied by Joshua Nuri on topic Can adult amateur baseball be more popular?

Leisure Clique wrote: Time commitment is huge playing baseball, players should estimate 4-5 hours for a game including travel time, and this is a lot for average people even in weekends. It is probably one of the reasons why adult amateur baseball is not as popular as other sports.

If amateur leagues adapt a few rules/standards to their games to shorten the time length like 6-7 inning games or setting a hard time limit (the last inning starts after 2 hour of playing), would it bring more players to this sports or just decrease the integrity of baseball?

I don't know, Leisure Clique, that's a good question. There are the true die hard fans of baseball that will keep the game as is no matter what. In recent years, however, baseball has taken some serious hits professionally, let alone in the amateur ranks. Americans are increasingly being pulled toward football, basketball, and yes, soccer. I really don't think that shortening the game in any way would bring more to the table. Let's just hope that the game of baseball can survive and overcome these current trends.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Evan Harris

More
1 year 1 month ago #919 by Evan Harris
Replied by Evan Harris on topic Can adult amateur baseball be more popular?
I like the idea of having a hard time limit and believe it would help attract players as they'd be able to schedule other commitments around the games. There's one issue though - how will tiebreakers be handled?

I've noticed that teams seem easier to maintain when the players were already grouped together for another purpose such as in civic clubs, churches, and places of employment. Maybe more groups would start their own team if the process was simplified and the materials were easier to find. After all, most of those who played the sport as a child and teenager don't suddenly lose interest when they reach adulthood.

Moderators: Leisure Clique